Thursday, February 17, 2005

Where has the customer service gone?

I always thought one of the greatest things of this country was its customer service.
To me this reflects the values not only of a company but of an entire society. Whether some people may call it capitalism or marketing strategy (dirty tricks some people says) to keep getting the sales up, the truth is I love to feel pampered or at least well taken care of when I am planning on spending money on a product.

After growing up in a country where the absence of care for the buyer and his/her needs is the norm we all got used to live with (and I am talking about Spain), getting in a store and knowing you will find people ready to help you and answer your questions with knowledge and expertise was a great satisfaction. Not to mention how any complaint or problem was; in most of the cases, solved with grace and speed.

How was my surprise last week, when I went to visit my favorite Apple store.

It has been a year since I didn't step in what I got to call my "geek heaven".
It may be that after this time in Spain dealing with bad service, I was expecting something else. Maybe I even idealized my past experiences; and believe me, I have a bunch of apple products to show for my visits, but to tell you the truth I certainly got disappointed.

I understand Apple has felt the growth of its market big time, for what I can see for the number of people shopping at the time in the store, but I thought this growth was among other things due to the great customer service they were known for, the nice and sleek manners their sales people had; at least to me it was.

I got my first surprise when from the two questions I had about two products I purchased a year ago in that same store, the person whom helped me had no knowledge whatsoever.
I don't expect any of the guys on the floor to know all the answers to all the questions any customer can come up with, I even understand they go to the back room and consult with other sales representatives, but what seems a bit odd is the fact that they came back with some answers that even to me; a non-expert, sounded more than weak (and as I searched on the web later where totally wrong).

I felt as if they were not interested on wasting time helping me, while they could be selling a 5.000$ G5 to raise their commission. I have already spent my good bucks on the store before, they already put my money in their pockets and I have the two laptops at home, my G4 and all the rest of the stuff, so what else there is to be?.

What about the CUSTOMER SERVICE?
What about all of us who have been using Apple for the last 15 years or more?... ooops my mistake, I expected to be treated as a friend, as part of the club. But got to see I have become simply a bank account.

It is not only my Apple experience that makes me write my posting. I have been feeling as if the customer service that American companies used to offer has gone down the drains. Big companies are more concerned about making big money and crushing the competition, than the happiness of their customers.

It is just too bad we customers don't seem to have much tools to fight back, besides bitch and complain on personal bloggers like this...

Boy, I feel like I'm back in Spain.

3 Comments:

Blogger El Conde de Almaviva said...

Hola Luis!

Hace unos días conocí tu página de internet gracias a que la presumió una maestra con la cual curso un diplomado. Felicidades por tu página web y estamos en contacto.

Un abrazo.

10:01 AM  
Blogger jota2 said...

holaa que buena a lo mejor este post no concuerde con el tema que escogi peroo bueno no se si me puedes dar una mano con la configuracion del blogger estoy como enredado peroo que buen site

7:32 PM  
Blogger Grey said...

Queremos mas posts, queremos mas posts... que es de tu vida tio?

1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home