Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Why Do I Videoblog?


For those of you who may have problems understanding my strong accent, you can read the post here:

I guess in the life of any vloger there is a moment where we all ask orselves "why we blog?".

What makes us take a camera and record the most various and picturesque moments of life?. From artistic shoots to newscast, from daily life events to the most intimate thoughts.

I’ve expend a good time trying to figured out why I do it. What desire or unconscious reason lays behind all of it. I am an artist, or that’s what my wife tells me. I am not sure how an artist is supposed to feel thought, the truth is that I feel like I have to tell things. No matter what or how I just have this embedded desire to communicate all kind of ideas that are born in my mind.
I remember when in my first job as a creative designer in an advertising company in Spain, the creative director told me: “Luis, you are a story-teller”.
I didn’t know how to take it at that time. I wasn’t even sure if he was close to the truth, but my professional path has taken me in a way where I can express those stories living inside of me, so in some way I am a storyteller.

Working as a print designer first and as a web designer for the last 9 years I had plenty of time to develop and experiment on the matter. I created One Thousand Dreams; my website, and it has served as my medium to express from random thoughts to my most intimate feelings. As an art director I always fought with my concept of creating websites as experiences instead of just a bunch of cyber-pages full of content more or less amusing.

That has brought me some problems, discussions with clients, ups and downs and a lot of nights debating with myself if I should keep doing design or just quit altogether.
In any case I haven’t found yet the answer and if I ever do I wonder if due to my personality I’ll be able to recognize it or admit it.

After using pen and paper, a computer and a mouse, oils, acrylics, color pencils, HTML, Photoshop, Flash and every single software I could put my hands on it was just a question of time until I decided to pick up a camera. I don’t want to go into discussion about what medium is better since I am of the firm conviction any one is good if you know how to use it… and even if you don’t, but let’s be honest, in my case moving pictures with sound and voice gets quite attractive when you think about telling stories.
And, that’s how I got hooked up in my new adventure with “video blogging”.

The HOW and WHY takes shape with this reasoning, but this shape is just a ghost in the fog with its blurred outline. So open to guessing and imagination

Exhibitionism, egomania, artistic thirst, just simple fun or more accurate a bit of everything. It doesn’t matter the reason anyway, and considering that looking for this makes me too aware of what I am trying to say, increases my anxiety about pleasing others, raises doubts about the usefulness of my work and finally kills my creative process, I rather leave that shape as a blurred ghostly presence.

So after all the debate and this long posting I guess I should just do it, not asking why or how but enjoying the process and the feeling it gives me to click the button that says “Publish Post”.

19 Comments:

Blogger ashe said...

That was fantastic!
I'm really glad you made that, it was perfect.
thanks.

9:48 AM  
Blogger Dr. Suzuki said...

Wow, that was some nifty use of animation! And very deep thoughts on videoblogging. I can't wait to see more of your work!

12:04 PM  
Blogger Chuck Olsen said...

cool!

9:35 AM  
Blogger mrmultiple2 said...

oh excellent & enjoyable.

5:31 PM  
Blogger ryanne hodson said...

well said!!!
i'm going to spread this around like wildfire!

8:55 PM  
Blogger Verdi said...

That puppet guy is pretty talented! I've seen his work in a number of places but I didn't realize he had such a great voice. Great job.

5:45 AM  
Blogger Jay Dedman said...

peoplelike to ask why why why when they start something knew.
im going to use this an an example of how to get through the questions and into the process.

7:03 AM  
Anonymous Nathan Miller said...

I agree with you! Well said, and great accent! I am going to spread this one around!! Super fantastic!

7:14 AM  
Anonymous steve said...

Wow that was great stuff, brilliant communication, I really enjoyed it.

7:43 AM  
Blogger bullemhead said...

Your boss was right.
You're a really good storyteller.

9:10 AM  
Blogger escorial said...

Michael,
I kind of got inspired by one of the first vlogs I saw from you, where you were disscussing the all "Vlog Maniffesto".

I loved that one.

Thanks for the help with freevlog.

9:20 AM  
Blogger Steve Garfield said...

Hi,
Jay Dedman sent me.

That was really well done, and it was a fine example of how to make a video blog without video. ;-)

Nice job.
--Steve

10:43 AM  
Blogger Tagami said...

Thank you for your sharing of your internal dialogue. Wonderful!

2:17 PM  
Blogger The Faux Press said...

Delighted to find you and your work. Yeah, Jay sent me. Hehehe.

8:34 PM  
Blogger Steve Garfield said...

I just featured this post on Vlog Soup #7.

Good stuff.

--Steve

12:09 AM  
Anonymous jen said...

I really enjoyed this metavlog. It was really well composed and has a compelling structure. Excellent.

6:25 PM  
Blogger ryanne hodson said...

you've been ReVlogged:
http://revlog.blogspot.com/2005/10/why-do-we-videoblog.html

9:40 AM  
Anonymous Andrew said...

I am a student at RMIT University in Melbourne, Australia and I’m working on a research project exploring what motivates people to video blog. I would very much appreciate it if you could help me with my primary research by answering the following questions

* What motivates you to create your video blog?
* Who do you think your audience is?
* What do you think is the future of video blogging?

If possible please post your answers as a comment on my blog: http://dazed.adc.rmit.edu.au/~s3049227/blog/?p=165

Or you can email me: s3049227ATstudentDOTrmitDOTeduDOTau
Thank you for your assistance,
Andrew McLauchlan

5:18 PM  
Anonymous jen said...

escorial,
this post was part of the inspiration for our Finding a Home post that we just produced this weekend. Thanks.

6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home